Although pools are supposed to be among the most relaxing and tranquil areas of anyone’s property, they can pose significant risks to health and safety when not properly managed. Homeowners who have pools in the Phoenix area need to ensure that they are taking all of the necessary precautions to keep their swimming environments as comfortable and safe as possible.
Several major news stories throughout the past several years have illustrated just how dangerous certain parts of pools can be, especially drains. For one, musician Usher’s 5-year-old son was trapped on a drain and spent weeks recovering, while other children have not been as lucky when it comes to entrapment hazards in pools.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fatal drowning is the second most prevalent cause of unintentional, injury-related death, trailing not far behind car accidents. Homeowners should consider calling Poolman to ensure their swimming environments are safe for individuals of all ages. As the premier provider of Phoenix area pool service, Poolman can minimize a variety of risks related to your swimming water and the surrounding area.
Safety remodeling services
Poolman can make sure that your swimming environment is compliant with the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act, which was passed with the specific target of making pool drains safer. Our certified professionals can install these features according to your specific needs and preferences, all of which will help mitigate the risk of entrapment:
- Dual drains: Some pools will have more than one drain, and when this is the case, certain safety features need to be included to comply with standing laws. If your pool has two or more drains that are three feet or less apart from one another, you’ll need a secondary entrapment prevention capability.
- ASME Covers: Drain covers are also accounted for in standing legislation, as these features need to be aligned with federally recognized best practices. Poolman can install ASME/ANSI A112.19.8-compliant drain covers, while also ensuring that any new compliance requirements are met.
- SVRS Installation: A suction vacuum release system is demanded in pools that have only one main drain. These drains represent some of the biggest hazards for children and other individuals swimming closer to the floor of the pool. A SVRS will allow you to turn off the suction should an issue arise.
The only time that these features are not necessarily needed is when the drains are certified as being unblockable, although compliant covers will still be necessary in these instances.
Additional features for added comfort, security
Drains are far from being the only hazards in a pool area. The surrounding area, as well as the water itself, can be dangerous when not managed properly.
Poolman offers these additional safety feature installations:
- In-pool steps: These will be especially beneficial for younger and older individuals who are getting in and out of the pool. Steps will reduce the risk of slips and falling, thus minimizing the chances of a dangerous injury.
- Lights: Let’s face it, most of us who own a pool will want to take a midnight dip from time to time, and this isn’t always the safest decision. However, by installing or repairing lights in your pool, you’ll never have to worry about it being too dark for your children, or yourself, to enjoy a relaxing swim.
In addition to more obvious hazards, a pool’s water, when not properly maintained, can pose health risks. Poolman offers a full range of regular maintenance services that help to ensure your water is always healthy and safe to swim in. From chemical balance to the removal of debris, Poolman will make your pool the safest, most desirable one on the block.