Add an Extra Level of Protect to Poolside Fun
We all know it when it comes to summer poolside fun is always first on the brain. Whether it’s taking a dip or using your newly renovated pool as the backdrop for your next backyard soiree, swimming pools and summer go hand in hand. But too often, poolside safety all but forgotten. Water Safety USA is has a message for all pool owners: “Designate a Water Watcher – supervision could save a life.”
Water Safety USA, is a consortium of 14 national governmental and non-governmental organizations, including the National Swimming Pool Foundation® (NSPF®). This consortium agrees that designating a water watcher when in, on, or around water can help prevent tragedy and foster safe poolside habits. All pool goers benefit by selecting one or more water watchers to take on the role of ensuring all children and adolescents are continually supervised, even if they know how to swim.
So Just What will a Designated Water Watcher Do?
Pool Safely encourages Water Watchers to:
- Watch children & adults in the pool and never leave them unattended
- Regularly scan the bottom of the pool
- Avoid poolside chats and talking on the phone
- Keep a phone at the pool for emergency use only and know the address of the pool I am guarding
- Call 911 and follow advice to administer CPR if necessary
- Locate and learn to use all pool safety equipment